Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wishing on Buttercups by Miralee Ferrell

Wishing on Buttercups (Love Blossoms in Oregon #2)This is a sweet, heartfelt story of a scarred, artistic young woman "abandoned " as a child on the wagon trail and rescued by the Arapahoes Indians. The only clues to her identity were a locket around her neck and fragmented memories of buttercups, a campfire and a kindly Indian woman spreading ointment on her burns...

As the story unfolds we meet a young man striking out on his own as a writer, a blackguard ex fiance, and many other memorable personalities.

I thought the storyline itself very good. The characters were well drawn and the mystery tantalizing.

However, I also found it somewhat frustrating.
So many times characters were on the verge of pouring out their thoughts to each other but stopped. Suddenly. "Forgive me. I cant discuss this afterall." Time and again. I really wanted to bang some heads together! No one wanted to trust and no one wanted to talk. Enough already! It got tiresome...

For this reason I felt that the book dragged in places for no good reason. Almost to make up a page quota or something. In fact, if the story was 50 pages or so shorter it wouldn't hurt the story at all but would probably improve it. Just my opinion.

CONTENT :

SEX : None
PROFANITY : None
VIOLENCE : None
RELIGIOUS ELEMENTS : Mild and rather 'forced'. Voices saying to "trust me " etc . It felt somewhat unnatural. There was also the OA technique used. (Overnight Awakening). One day the character has not much use for God, the next day they're like "Oh Lord, you are my hope and anchor.." I'm not fond of this.

MY RATING : G

Many thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a free copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment