Sunday, December 15, 2013

Slices Of Life by Leah Eskin

Slices of Life: A Food Writer Cooks through Many a Conundrum
This is a fun book of both recipes and short essays; 'slices of life'. To be honest, I found it hard to get into at first. The beginning of the book felt stilted, choppy and frankly confusing.
It seemed full of clever twists of phrase that were meant to amuse but ultimately make me scratch my head and wonder what it was all about. There were lots of sparks of something but ultimately no connection.

However,  I kept reading and it did get better. The writing seemed to smooth out (or maybe my mind was adjusting to the writing style) and I found many of the essays enjoyable. Great for when you only have small snatches if time, like in the kitchen waiting for sauce to thicken or butter to melt.

Essays aside, the book is worth having for the recipes alone. There's a ton of great homey  recipes, some which are family heirlooms and others general cooking tips. I would like to see this book in paper format (I have an ebook) because I think all cookbooks should be flip-through-able.

BOTTOM LINE : Clever book. Bon Apetit!

Many thanks to NetGalley for my free cop[y for review

No comments:

Post a Comment