Monday, December 9, 2013

The Midnight Dancers by Anne Maybury

The Midnight Dancers3 1/2 STARS
As an adventure, I loved this story. I love a book that will take me away to a faraway place ~ escapism at its finest~ and I felt that Anne Maybury delivered on that score. She has an unhurried pace that lets the reader savor the experience but not so ponderous that we get impatient. Excellent writing skills there.

The characters were well formed although I never really liked them. The husband was distant. The stepdaughter stroppy, the sister in law money hungry and the heroine lacking in backbone. So I didnt really "root" for anyone. Still, it didn't prevent me from enjoying the story.

As a mystery I thought it fell a little flat. Too little suspense, too evenly doled out. I'm not too keen of the ending where a previously perfectly sane person suddenly becomes unhinged with no prior
warning. I feel like the author should lay clues however subtle so that when the big reveal comes we smack our heads and say 'of course! it was there all the time why didn't I see it "? MM Kaye excelled at that. But lets not compare...

BOTTOM LINE : I enjoyed it. Probably won't read it again but probably will read other books by this author.

CONTENT :

SEX : Marital relations are implied but not shown to the reader.
VIOLENCE : Very mild
PROFANITY : Mild cussing
PARANORMAL ELEMENTS : None

MY RATING : PG

No comments:

Post a Comment