Monday, December 9, 2013

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3)First off, this review is for the Gormenghast TRILOGY. (one book)
I would give this epic 5 stars if it wasnt for the last book in the trilogy, "Titus Alone". It just doesnt fit in with the rest of the story and I actually skimmed through it because it felt disjointed to me.

However, the first two books in the trilogy "Titus Groan" and "Gormenghast" are well worth a read. Weird, yes. But if you like engrossing escape fiction set in an imaginary place and unknown time with no mythological creatures or magic but plenty of suspense and bizarre characters with a good versus evil plot you'll like this. I guess i would call it a fantasy-thriller. Not my usual genre but I couldn't put it down.


 There are some swear words, mainly S#!+ used in its dictionary sense, but also as an insult and a twist to someone's name. Also, one of the professors is rather foul mouthed in an almost tourettes sort of way but if you own the paper version you can edit it if you choose to with white out.

For those who are wondering, the movie is surprisingly good. I didn't think "Gormenghast " could be visualized in a cinematographic (is that a word?) way but they don't do too badly. Its not perfect but not bad either.

MY RATING PG -13

No comments:

Post a Comment