Sunday, June 29, 2014

The House Of A Thousand Candles by Meredith Nicholson

The House of a Thousand Candles by Meredith Nicholson
I saw this while browsing ebay just after I had finished reading The House of a Thousand Lanterns. How could I read about 1,000 lanterns and not 1,000 candles, right? Besides, I like obscure books. There's very few opinions out there so I don't feel swayed by popular opinion or shy of hurting an author's feelings. :) Anyway, you can read it for free on Openlibrary so I decided to give it a go.

IN A NUTSHELL:
A young, irresponsible man inherits his grandfather's estate with stipulations. He has to live there for one year and never leave town, he has to clean up his wild ways, and if he forms any romantic attachment to a certain individual he loses everything.

Rumor has it that there is treasure hidden in the house, and knowing the old man (an architect), it seems a likely thing he would do for amusement. Most of the house is unfinished and there are sounds of footsteps in the walls at odd times. Compound that with shots in the dark and chases through the snow and you have a general feeling of the book,

Well, as promising as it sounds, it was a no go for me. I did read the whole thing but it was rather dreadful. Oh, the writing was ok, but I never liked the characters, I thought the main character was a bit of a jerk and he pretty much stayed that way. The mystery was ok, but nothing thrilling and slightly predictable. Romance was very 'meh'. I couldn't see why the girl was attracted to him and all she had to do was grow up and he was like a hound dog on a coon's trail.

Bottom line: Check it out on OpenLibrary but don't rush to ebay to buy it unless you've read the author's other works and like his style. (yes, Meredith is a HE). It was just ok for me.

CONTENT:

SEX: None
PROFANITY: Very Mild
VIOLENCE: A shoot out during "seige" and general knockabouts throughout.

MY RATING: G-PG

No comments:

Post a Comment