Friday, January 10, 2014

The American Heiress by Dorothy Eden

The American Heiress4 1/2 stars

I have to be careful what I say in this review because I could so easily spoil the story. But I'll do my best. In a nutshell, a young woman assumes the identity of her heiress 1/2 sister when her sister perishes in the sinking of the Lusitania.

She goes on and marries her sister 's fiance and takes her place at a manor house in England. Her husband is promptly called back to the war and she is left with her fabrications ...and new relatives. Will they see through her facade?

I loved the premise of this story. Swapping roles and hidden identities fascinate me. So I was really excited to find this book at the library.

At times the heroine disappointed me and I didn't like who she was becoming. But when I took my self righteous soul aside for a chat I realized that the character was reacting exactly as we would expect her to act in those circumstances. It was REAL even if it wasn't heroic.

And the ending was good. Very good. Satisfying on so many levels though I still wish there was yet another epilogue cos I still want a few answers...

Bottom line : well worth a read!

CONTENT :

SEX : two encounters between married individuals. I didn't find it vulgar or offensive but not recommended for YA readers.
VIOLENCE : None, although there is a shipwreck
PROFANITY : Mild
PARANORMAL ELEMENTS : Hettie has hallucinations? sees a ghost? its not clear to her any more than it is to us. She has gone through major trauma so it wouldn't be unusual to have 'breakdown ' type nightmares.

MY RATING : PG -13 (for NA or Adult readers -because of sexual content )

No comments:

Post a Comment